|What, #DinnerOnly? But I was planning on finally getting to third base this Valentine's Day!|
"Fifty Shades" whips up stunning $81.7 million
|Mara, Lykke Li, Tove Lo, et al. are happy to see teens finally getting some action.|
In most countries, February 14th is a highly commercialized day of romance [worshipping a god known in the West as Eros and in the East as Kamadeva].
In [Theravada Buddhist] Thailand, it's also a time for strict warnings -- and this year a new Twitter hashtag aimed at preventing premarital sex.
The Culture Ministry's "Moral Promotion Center" launched a widely publicized campaign earlier this week called "Just a Meal for Valentine's Day" that urges [Thai] teens to go home after their dinner dates.
It's also asking youths to show support for the campaign by tweeting #DinnerOnly in Thai. A Twitter search Friday found that the request had drawn varied reactions of mockery [from Buddhist teens] with many postings of the Thai equivalent to LOL [and F.U.]!
|Most chocolate is junk (Henry Payne)|
"Parents and teachers should create correct understanding about Valentine's Day with children," Narathip Pumsap, the Moral Promotion Center's director, was quoted as saying on the English-language Website of the Khaosod newspaper.
Narathip suggested that instead of engaging in intimacy, teens "show love to their family, society, themselves, and the country."
This year's campaign comes amid a morality overhaul initiated by Thailand's [new] military government, which took power from an elected administration following a coup last May.
|Remember when we were teens, sweetie?|
The National Police Force has asked parents and teachers to inform children of the "dangers" of Valentine's Day and to avoid "risky behavior," police Maj. Gen Patipat Suban Na Ayuuthaya told a news conference earlier this week, according to the Khaosod newspaper.
|Flip them if they get fresh, girls! (kalmykia.eu)|
One all-girl's school in Bangkok took the extra step of holding a Valentine's Day self-defense class earlier this week. Thai media showed policewomen on stage in the auditorium of the Sainampeung School flipping a man before an assembly of hundreds of students. More
|Sexy Bangkok, City of Love or, at least, lovely Bangkok, City of... (WQ/flickr.com)|
- Thai teens urged to skip the sex on Valentine's Day (UPI)
- Thailand News Thai couples flock to marry on Valentine's Day; Thai Army closely monitoring radical Red Shirt leaders; Thai military government, who came to power in a coup, urges teens to have dinner, not sex, for Valentine's Day... Phuket jet-ski operator banned after attempted shakedown...Wild elephants attack cars of tourists in...
- Thai teens urged to forego Valentine sex
- Big condoms partly to blame for Thai teen STI spike... In a statement ahead of Valentine's Day -- a time when Thai officials often... "It is due to the fact that only 43 percent (of teenagers) use condoms -- and... This year officials have called on teenagers to have a special meal or visit temples instead of having sex...
- Sex and "sparkling devices" worry authorities this Valentine's Day... (Bangkok.coconuts.co) All fireworks and “sparkling devices” will be banned, according to a sobering... Related: Thai Teens prepare for annual tradition of ignoring pleas to abstain from sex... Shocking poll results: Teens want sex on Valentine's Day.
- Burma (Myanmar) President Proposes Interfaith Marriage Ban (thailawforum.com) Pres. Thein Sein recently proposed a law banning inter-faith...Thailand Gov't Tells Teens "Have Dinner, Not Sex"BangkokPost - Bangkok, Thailand #Valentine's Day in photo gallery...For college teens, sex education is all fun and games. It's the day before...
- Freedom of religion in Thailand
- PHOTOS: Thailand
Sundays, 11:20 am, Pasadena Presbyterian Church (ppc.net)