|"Money, Money, Money," I've got my mind on my money and your money on my mind.|
|Paper chase: Benjamins, private federal notes, fiat money used to be gold certificates.|
|We're limousine liberals, right, Dick? - Shut up, Lisa. We're meditating. Let go of all that "Simpsons" TV money and fame. - That's easy for you to say, Dick, because you're a personal friend of the Dalai Lama and I'm Y.S. - Quiet, Lisa, noble silence! ("She of Little Faith").|
|Butler, bring me my cash on a silver platter.|
|Lucky Bodhisattva Budai/Hotei (iStockphoto)|
- confidence (in the fact that the Buddha was enlightened, that those who follow the path are enlightened, that the Dharma teaches the way to enlightenment, with this confidence being called saddha or "faith"),
- virtue (personal conduct),
- liberality (generosity),
- wisdom (learning and insight).
|Cash placed as an offering to the Buddha and/or Monastic Sangha, Ladakh (Aswin/flickr)|
- NOTE: The Koliyans were the rivals of the Buddha's family clan, the Shakyans. Queen Maha Maya, the Buddha's biological mother, belonged to the Koliyan clan and his father, King Suddhodana, to the Shakyan clan.
Four Conditions of Worldly Progress
|Whoa, in the USA you get rich by forming a monopoly that bankrupts everyone else.|
- "The accomplishment (-sampada, blessing) of persistent effort (utthana-),
- the accomplishment of watchfulness (arakkha-),
- good [noble, virtuous] friendship (kalyana-mittata), and
- balanced livelihood (samma-jivikata).
|Now I've only got |
|Golden Buddhas in Theravada Thailand (Piyawit Kampput/p_kampput/FIVE S.P./flickr).|
"What is 'good friendship'?
- Confidence, conviction (saddha) never refers to blind faith but always to verifiable faith. It is confidence based on knowledge initiated by trust but fulfilled by eventual direct experience. Buddhism, therefore, is not a "faith" or "belief system" but a practice to be verified by personal experience and direct knowledge beyond all teachers or claims. Until one makes it one's own by direct verification, it is just confidence in the Buddha, the Dharma (Teachings), and the Noble Sangha -- the community of enlightened disciples (the arya, "noble ones," not simply anyone in a robe who are members of the Buddhist Monastic Order, which is also called the Sangha), the Three Jewels that propel one forward on the Path.
- [Wisdom Quarterly note: "If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall."]
|Why trust in gold and paper when you can have bits and blips on a computer? [IP]|
- Udumbarakhadaka: The Commentary explains that one who wants to eat wood-apple customarily shakes the tree go get fruit. But the result is that a large number of apples fall and go to waste while only a few are eaten.
- friendship, companionship, and intimacy with doers of harm.
- abstinence from debauchery,
- abstinence from drunkenness,
- non-indulgence in gambling,
- friendship, companionship, and intimacy with the good.
|Himalayan Crows Lake in north Sikkim, India (Carsten.nebel/en.wikipedia.org)|
|Beyond selfish pursuits, there are thoughts of others and all that made my riches possible. There is also the thought of my welfare beyond this world. So if I help others, I fulfill my duty to myself and to others. But if greed overtakes me, it will be to my ruin and the harm of others. Maybe I don't owe anyone a d*mn thing, but it sure is wise to provide for others and my (future) self/selves, because life (samsara) is much longer than this (WQ/occupy.com).|
- "The accomplishment (-sampada) of confidence (saddha-),
- the accomplishment of virtue (sila-),
- the accomplishment of charity (caga-), and
- the accomplishment of wisdom (pañña-).
|Wisdom is the greatest good. (Nadeemmazhar)|
- *Confidence is perfected by stream entry, moving from verifiable faith to confirmed certainty, conviction, having directly experienced the truth of the Buddha's teachings, the path, knowing-and-seeing and therefore no longer relying on any teacher.
|Think you'll grow rich, but your boss, bank, and government will grow far richer. Why? White collar crime is treated lightly even as it harms everyone. HSBC Bank colludes with UK gov't and media (occupy.com). Don't worry; you won't notice as you chase that paper.|
|Real "welfare queens" own banks and realty.|