Winter has officially begun in the northern hemisphere on the same day summer starts for the southern side of planet Gaia. But it actually arrived days ago in Los Angeles, which has been experiencing more rain (our equivalent of lowland snow) in these few days than it usually gets in a year.
"This is a dream of future events," the Buddha explained. "In days to come rulers will become unrighteous. The nobles will follow the ruler's example, and so will the intellectuals (brahmins). The townspeople, the merchants, and at last even the farmers will become corrupted. Eventually, everyone in the country [mahajanapada, a tribe's territory or ruling clan's foothold], the sages and even the earthbound-devas [akin to mischevious Greek demigods], will become immoral.
Wisdom Quarterly with help from Chiff.com
In ancient Rome, the original "Xmas" was a Pagan celebration called the Feast of Saturnalia, in honor of the Roman "god" or "titan" (Buddhist deva or asura) Saturn. In pre-Christian England, the end of December centered around the Pagan Yule log holiday tradition, a special piece of wood blazing to defrost winter's handiwork.
- Peaches Christ Superstar (electroclash star goes classic)
- The etymology of the word "Christ" (as in Krishna)
- Christian USA gives Muslim Afghanistan a WAR for Xmas
- Catholic Vatican library carries books on Hinduism and yoga
- Lunar eclipse 2010 video and photos (Huffington Post)
- UC Berkeley bike dispute goes viral (LA Times)
- Seeing science through spiritual lens (Dalai Lama, Smithsonian)
- Is Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" Anti-Semitic, Christian propaganda?
- Hindu Jesus: A different kind of Christianity