Friday, December 3, 2010

Actor Jim Carrey: "I'm a Buddhist..."

Wisdom Quarterly with original text by Justin Harp (digitialspy.com, Dec. 1, 2010)

"This is where I hang out with Buddha and Krishna...Jesus." "Are you a Buddhist?" "I'm a Buddhist, I'm a Muslim, I'm a Christian... It all comes down to the same thing -- you're in a loving place or you're in an unloving place" (CBS interview).


"I read something from Buddha* that said that all spirituality is about
relieving suffering. And I suddenly realized, 'That's what I'm doing!'"

Jim Carrey [who split with girlfriend Playboy playmate Jenny McCarthy (pictured below), author of Love, Lust & Faking It, and for a time must have felt like that Gnarls Barkley video] has insisted that he is constantly driven to seek out enlightenment.

In an interview with Parade, the [gay comedy] I Love You Phillip Morris [which comes out today] star revealed that he has often bounced between bliss and suffering in his lifetime.

"There's always some sort of deep undercurrent running under things for me," he said.

Looking like a yogi (Rex Features)

The actor added: "I've had peaks of kind of enlightenment where I felt like, 'Oh, wow. I've got to figure it out. This is it! Okay. I have peace. I have bliss.'

"And then, boom, off the wave, into the surf, and you're struggling again. I definitely have those scared to death moments, but they're what make you interesting."

Carrey also explained that he believes his life's path is up to a higher power [karma, Oneness, Eckhart Tolle?].


Getting back to his mystical experience of non-duality

He explained: "What's important to me is the long haul. It's a strange thing, but sometimes I think that God is somehow fashioning my life so that I do stay interested and stay hungry."

  • *COMING SOON: What could Jim Carrey have read that put him on the path to "relieve suffering"? Wisdom Quarterly reveals and explains the sutra at the root of the Buddha's statement.

No comments: