A senator allegedly targeted said Thursday that he's confident there will be a review of the facts, but played down the idea that he was manipulated.
Carefully orchestrated manipulation of media makes us all victims of US war (glossynews.com).
The staff of Lt. Gen. William Caldwell, head of the effort to train Afghan security forces, ordered the information operations unit to compile profiles, voting records, and other information on visiting lawmakers to leverage in a campaign to get more assistance, said a story Thursday on Rolling Stone's website.
It says the campaign also improperly targeted the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen, and others. Caldwell's office denied that the command used information operations cell to influence distinguished visitors. More>>
U.S. probes if senators targeted by Afghan psy-ops unit
(Reuters) The military said on today it will investigate accusations that a psychological operations unit was used in Afghanistan to try to persuade visiting senators to increase war funding. The accusations... quot[ed] the leader of the [PsyOps] Army unit, Lieutenant Colonel Michael Holmes, who objected to what he saw as an illegal use of his team's skills on American citizens.
The need for mundane "enlightenment"
Deprogramming: Political and Religious Mind Control
"Deprogramming" refers to actions that attempt to force a person to abandon allegiance to a religious or political group. Methods and practices typically involve violent kidnapping and coercion. Ted Patrick, one of the pioneers of deprogramming, used a confrontational method: “When you deprogram people, you force them to think… But I keep them off balance and this forces them to begin questioning, to open their minds. When the mind gets to a certain point, they can see through all the lies that they’ve been programmed to believe. They realize that they’ve been duped and they come out of it. Their minds start working again.” More>>
- VIDEO: Mind tricks in sports: What it takes to win
- Gadhafi forces strike back at Libya freedom uprising
- Throngs view space shuttle Discovery's last launch
- Troopers sent to homes of some Wisconsin Democrats
- Tea party vision for Mont. raising concerns
- All 2,000 Providence, R.I., teachers could be fired
- More details from the Sarah Palin tell-all book
- Wisconsin's [pro and] anti-union hysteria
- Many "locked-in" syndrome patients are happy
- Activist chases force halt to Japan whaling season