Monday, December 1, 2014

"Human Experience: Why Are We Here?" (video)

Dhr. Seven, Amber Larson, Ashley Wells, Wisdom Quarterly; BBC.com; Sutra: MN 63
Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery, Sha Tin, Hong Kong (Michael Ducloux/Micky75017/flickr)
(BBC) Season 1, Episode 2

Asking the Buddha to explain the Universe
Wisdom Quarterly translation based on Ven. Thanissaro of "The Shorter Instructions to Malunkya," Cula-Malunkyovada Sutra, from the Middle Length Discourses (MN 63)
Listen and attend well as I teach the path to awakening.
Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Savatthi at Jeta's Grove in Anathapindika's monastery. Then, as Ven. Malunkyaputta was alone in seclusion, this train of thought arose in his mind:

"These positions that are undeclared, set aside, discarded by the Blessed One:
  • 'The universe is eternal,'
  • 'The universe is not eternal,'
  • 'The universe is finite,'
  • 'The universe is infinite,'
  • 'The self [soul, ego] and the body are the same,'
  • 'The self is one thing and the body another,'
  • 'After death a Wayfarer (Tathagatha, i.e., one who has accomplished the supreme spiritual goal)  exists,'
  • 'After death a Wayfarer does not exist,'
  • 'After death a Wayfarer both exists and does not exist,'
  • 'After death a Wayfarer neither exists nor does not exist.'
"I do not approve! I do not accept that the Blessed One has not [definitively] declared [and explained] them to me!
 
"I will go ask the Blessed One about this matter. If he declares to me that 'The universe is eternal,' that 'The universe is not eternal,' that 'The universe is finite,' that 'The universe is infinite,' that 'The self and the body are the same,' that 'The self is one thing and the body another,' that 'After death a Wayfarer exists... [and so on] then I will live the spiritual life under him.
 
"But if he does not declare to me that 'The universe is eternal'... [and so on] then I will renounce the monastic training [that leads to enlightenment in this very life] and return to the common life [of a layperson]."
 
The Buddha, Gandhara art (wiki)
When it was evening Ven. Malunkyaputta arose from seclusion [with mind and body withdrawn in meditation] and went to the Blessed One. Having bowed, he sat respectfully to one side, and said to the Blessed One:

"Venerable sir, just now, as I was alone in seclusion, this train of thought arose in my mind: 'These positions that are undeclared, set aside, discarded by the Blessed One... I do not approve. I do not accept that the Blessed One has not declared them to me. I will go ask the Blessed One about this matter. If he declares to me that "The universe is eternal"... [and so on] then I will live the spiritual life under him.

"However, if he does not declare to me that "The universe is eternal"... [and so on] then I will renounce this monastic training and return to the common life.'
 
"Venerable sir, if the Blessed One knows that 'The universe is eternal' then may he declare to me that 'The universe is eternal.' If he knows that 'The universe is not eternal' then may he declare to me that 'The universe is not eternal.' But if he does not know or see whether or not the universe is eternal then, for one who does not know or see, the only straightforward thing to do is to admit, 'I do not know; I do not see.'

"...If he does not know or see whether after death a Wayfarer exists...does not exist...both exists and does not exist...neither exists nor does not exist' then, for one who does not know or see, the only straightforward thing to do is to admit, 'I do not know; I do not see.'"

The Buddha responds
Disciples, remember what I have declared as declared and what is undeclared as undeclared.
.
"Malunkyaputta, did I ever say to you, 'Come, Malunkyaputta, live the spiritual life under me, and I will declare to you whether or not 'The universe is eternal' or 'The universe is not eternal,' or 'The universe is finite' or 'The universe is infinite,' or 'The self [soul] and the body are the same' or 'The self is one thing and the body another,' or 'After death a Wayfarer exists' or 'After death a Wayfarer does not exist' or 'After death a Wayfarer both exists and does not exist' or 'After death a Wayfarer neither exists nor does not exist'?" [This is a formulation that exhausts all logical options.]

"No, venerable sir," replied Ven. Malunkyaputta.

"And did you ever say to me, 'Venerable sir, I will live the spiritual life under the Blessed One and [in return] he will declare to me that 'The universe is eternal' or 'The universe is not eternal' [and so on]?"
 
"No, venerable sir."
 
"Then that being the case, foolish person, why are you claiming grievances or making such demands?
 
"Malunkyaputta, if anyone were to say, 'I will not live the spiritual life under the Blessed One as long as he does not declare to me that "The universe is eternal"... [and so on], that person would die and those things would still remain undeclared by the Wayfarer.
 
"It is just as if a person were wounded with an arrow thickly smeared with poison. That person's friends and companions, kinfolk and relatives would provide a doctor, and the person would say,
  • 'I will not have this arrow removed until I know whether the shooter, the person who wounded me, was a noble warrior, a Brahmin, a merchant, or a worker.'
That person would say,
  • 'I will not have this arrow removed until I know the given name and clan name of the shooter...
  • 'until I know whether the shooter was tall, medium, or short...
  • 'until I know whether the shooter was dark, ruddy-brown, or golden-colored...
  • 'until I know the shooter's home village, town, or city...
  • 'until I know whether the bow with which I was wounded was a long bow or a crossbow...
  • 'until I know whether the bowstring with which I was wounded was fiber, bamboo threads, sinew, hemp, or bark...
  • 'until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was wild or cultivated...
  • 'until I know whether the feathers of the shaft with which I was wounded were those of a vulture, a stork, a hawk, a peacock, or another bird...
  • 'until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was bound with the sinew of an ox, a water buffalo, a langur, or a monkey.'
"That wounded person would say:
  • 'I will not allow this arrow to be removed until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was that of a common arrow, a curved, a barbed, a calf-toothed, or an oleander arrow.'
"That person would die, and yet those things would still remain unknown to that person.
 
"In the same way, if anyone were to say, 'I will not live the spiritual life under the Blessed One as long as he does not declare to me whether or not "The universe is eternal" [and so on], that person would die, and yet those things would still remain undeclared by the Wayfarer.
 
"Malunkyaputta, it is NOT the case that when one holds the view 'The universe is eternal' that there is the living of the spiritual life.

"And it is not the case that when one holds the view 'The universe is not eternal' that there is the living of the spiritual life.

Big Buddha reflection (Tonycorocher/flickr)
"Whether one holds the view 'The universe is eternal' or 'The universe is not eternal' -- there is still birth, there is still aging, there is still death, there is still sorrow, lamentation, pain, despair, and disappointment [all of which is the definition of "suffering," dukkha], the destruction of which I make known right here and now!
 
"It is not the case that when one holds the view 'The universe is finite' that there is the living of the spiritual life.

"And it is not the case that when one holds the view 'The universe is infinite' that there is the living of the spiritual life.

"Whether one holds the view 'The cosmos is finite' or 'The universe is infinite,' there is still birth, aging, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, despair, and disappointment, the destruction of which I make known right here and now!
 
"It is not the case that when one holds the view 'The self [soul] and the body are the same' that there is the living of the spiritual life.

"And it is not the case that when one holds the view 'The self is one thing and the body another' that there is the living of the spiritual life.

"Whether one holds the view 'The self and the body are the same' or 'The self is one thing and the body another,' there is still birth, aging, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, despair, and disappointment, the destruction of which I make known right here and now.
 
"It is not the case that when one holds the view 'After death a Wayfarer exists' that there is the living of the spiritual life.

"And it is not the case that when one holds the view 'After death a Wayfarer does not exist' that there is the living of the spiritual life [and so on] -- [but] there is still birth, aging, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, despair, and disappointment, the destruction of which I make known right here and now.
 
"Therefore, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and remember what is declared by me as declared.

"And what is undeclared by me?
  • 'The universe is eternal' -- that is undeclared by me.
  • 'The universe is not eternal...
  • 'The universe is finite...
  • 'The cosmos is infinite...
  • 'The self and the body are the same...
  • 'The self is one thing and the body another...
  • 'After death a Wayfarer exists...
  • 'After death a Wayfarer does not exist... [and so on] -- that is undeclared by me.
Why but why?
"And why are they undeclared by me? It is because they are not connected with the goal (they do not lead to enlightenment and nirvana). They are not fundamental to the spiritual life.

"They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, nirvana. That's why they are undeclared by me.

"But what is declared by me?
  1. 'This is suffering [disappointment]' -- that is declared by me.
  2. 'This is the origin of suffering...
  3. 'This is the cessation of suffering...
  4. 'This is the path-of-practice leading to the cessation of suffering' -- that is declared by me.
"And why are they [these four ennobling truths] declared by me? It is because they are connected with the supreme goal. They are fundamental to the spiritual life. They lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, and nirvana. That is why they are declared by me.
 
"Therefore, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and remember what is declared by me as declared."
 
That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, Ven. Malunkyaputta delighted in the Blessed One's words.

No comments: