|Yeah, come over! Bring a wrapped gift; we're having a party with a gift exchange game. (Mary's Christmas Museum for an all-inclusive holiday season (Kevin Dooley/flickr.com).|
|Dana is the foundation of all Buddhist practices; it is a gift of the heart (Tathaloka Theri).|
|Our teacher Bhikkhu Bodhi|
- AUDIO: The greatest gift: How we first learned Buddhism from Bhikkhu Bodhi's scholarship and English translations
- Bhikkhu Bodhi live at Buddhist Assoc. of the U.S. (BAUS)
|Royals make offerings to the Buddha and Sangha|
- the problem with rebirth,
- the cause,
- the solution, and
- the path leading to the end of all suffering and rebirth.
|Would Grumpy Cat give?|
- [All suffering has only three root causes: greed, aversion, ignorance/delusion.]
- the first of the Three Bases of Meritorious Deeds (punna-kiriya-vatthu),
- the first of the four means of benefiting others (sangaha-vatthu) [four "ways of showing favor" or Four Bases of Popularity -- giving, kindly speech, beneficial actions, and impartiality (A.IV.32; A.VIII.24)],
- the first of the Ten Perfections (paramis), which are the sublime virtues cultivated by all aspirants to perfect enlightenment, taken to the most exalted degree by those who wish to follow the path of the bodhisattva that aims at supreme enlightenment of perfect teaching buddhahood.
|Feeding novices in Asia (Prayudi Hartono)|
- [Why is giving usually overlooked without comment in studies of Buddhism? A wit once wrote: "I don't know who discovered water, but you can bet it wasn't a fish." Giving runs through the Dharma so much that of course it's taken for granted.
|Dana: The Practice of Giving (Whl. 367-9)|
|You're like Ven. Sivali, foremost in giving!|
|Giving benefits the needy AND the givers!|
- the quality of the donor's motive,
- the spiritual purity of the recipient, and
- the kind and size of the gift.
|Intention and thinking matter before, during, and after.|
|No really, what are you thinking as you give?|
- giving with the clear understanding that according to the karmic law of cause and effect, the generous act will bring beneficial results in the future;
- giving while aware that the gift, the recipient, and the giver are all impermanent; and
- giving with the aim of enhancing one's efforts to realize enlightenment.
|Bhikkhu Bodhi helped in the founding of Buddhist Global Relief to benefit all.|