Then, during the reign of the fundamentalist [CIA-created] Taliban regime, all non-Islamic statues and tombs were ordered destroyed. This led to the loss of two-thirds of the hundred thousand items in the Kabul museum.
In search of a larger reclining Afghan Buddha statue than the ones destroyed (Nat Geo)
What the Taliban didn't know was that many of the most magnificent objects had already been spirited away. More than 25 years ago museum staff had hidden the treasures as the bombs started to fall. (See photos of the Afghanistan museum treasures.)...
|Indian gold coins (coinindia.com)|
- Real history of Afghanistan (Invisible History)
- World's Greatest Buddhist site: Mes Aynak
- Spectacular Bandi Amir (lake) of Bamiyan
- Afghanistan: Profile and Photo Gallery
- Ancient Assyrian Treasures Found Intact in Baghdad
- Lost Iraq Treasures: Rare Geographic Photos
- How They Found National Geographic's "Afghan Girl"
- PHOTO GALLERY: National Geographic