Thursday, June 21, 2018

Summer 77: "White Punks on Dope" (video)

The Tubes live on the Sunset Strip; Seth Auberon, Crystal Quintero (ed.), Wisdom Quarterly

WARNING: Cussing, shocking antics, excesses of the 1970 people would rather forget!

Teenagers had a race for the night time, spent my cash on every high I could find, wasted time in every school in L.A., getting loose, I didn't care what the kids say.

CHORUS: We're white punks on dope. Mom and dad live in Hollywood, hang myself when I get enough rope. Can't clean up, though I know I should. White punks on dope...


("TV-Glotzer" in German*) Nina Hagen's spinon a classic tune, late 70s
 
Other dudes are living in the ghetto (wa-oo-wa-oo-wa-oo-wa-ooooo), but born in Beverly Hills don't seem much better (wa-oo-wa-oo-wa-oo-wa-ooooo).

I go crazy 'cause my folks are so bleeding rich (wa-oo-wa-oo-wa-oo-wa-ooooo), have to score when I get that rich white punk itch. Sounds real classy, living in a chateau (wa-oo-wa-oo-wa-oo-wa-ooooo). So lonely, all the other kids will never know. CHORUS. White punks on dope...

"White Punks on Dope" Nina Hagen version
*GERMAN TV-Glotzer: Alone! The world has forgotten about me. I am hanging around. F*cked it up with everyone. No desire to do a thing. I feel old, like my grandma in a swamp. I turn on the [TV] box: the Daltons, Waltons, everyone. I stare from East to West, 2, 5, 4. No way I can decide. Everything here is so beautifully colorful! I stare at the TV. (She stares at the TV). I stare at the TV. (She stares at the TV). Wow! I am so dead! Was this my life already? My beautiful imagination! My sensors all have had it! I turn on the box, happiness, smooth smooth, fun fun! I stare from East to West, 2, 5, 4. No way I can decide. Everything here is so beautifully colorful! I stare at the TV. (She stares at the TV). I stare at the TV. (She stares at the TV). Yeah! I am going nuts. I won't touch another book. Literature? Puke, puke! Makes me sick. And the medical novels I've read with twelve. Boy, I am so well-read! Hey! And the refreshment waffles have leaked, gag gag. And this f*cking chocolate makes me fatter and fatter and fatter and fatter and, oh dear! I turn on the box -- happiness, smooth smooth, fun fun! I stare from East to West, 2, 5, 4. No way I can decide. Everything here is so beautifully colorful! I stare at the TV...TV TV TV TV is a drug. TV is addictive. TV TV TV TV...

No comments: