Wisdom Quarterly meditation expert Kalyani vouches for her unequivocally, so we follow suit due to her accomplishments in meditation and insight with the Sayadaw.
She authored Wisdom Wide and Deep: A Practical Handbook for Mastering Jhana and Vipassana (Wisdom Publications, 2011) to help make this traditional approach to meditative training accessible to Western practitioners.
She also wrote Focused and Fearless: A Meditator’s Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity (Wisdom Publications, 2008). She has extensive experience with the practice of metta, including seven months exploring it as a meditation subject on retreat.
Catherine has been teaching since 1996 in the USA, India, Israel, and England. She studied at Sharpham College for Buddhist Studies in England and has dedicated several years to studying with masters in India, Nepal, and Thailand.
- More talks by Shaila Catherine: Audio Dharma
She has recently completed a year-long intensive meditation retreat focusing on the cultivation of concentration (samadhi) and absorption (jhana).
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha (Daniel Ingram)
- Jhanas in Theravada Buddhist meditation
- VIDEO: Ayya Khema explains the eight jhanas
- AUDIO: Buddhist Dharma master Ven. Dhammadipa
- Star Wars Yoga
- Sutra: The Great Lion's Roar Discourse
- PHOTOS: Buddhist monastics reborn as beautiful American girls return to Buddhist India