|Cave Temples of Dunhuang at the Getty Museum, Los Angeles, May 7-Sept. 4, 2016|
|Ancient manuscripts, Library Cave|
- Dunhuang Cave Art: Hidden Illumination in Dark Times and the Secret Ambrosia of Great Compassion
- Conversation with Peter Sellars and Robert Thurman
- Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:00 pm
- Harold M. Williams Auditorium, Getty Center
|Prof. Robert Thurman|
At the Getty, Sellars will be joined by Robert Thurman, Uma's dad, the Jey Tsong Khapa Professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies in the Department of Religion at Colombia University, for a discussion about Dunhuang and the Vimalakīrti Sutra as sources of inspiration for artists and for Sellars' forthcoming production. More
They are named after the founding monk Yuezun's vision in 366 of a "golden radiance in the form of a thousand Buddhas" (Whitfield).
- Zhang Xuerong, ed. (1998). 敦煌西千佛洞石窟 [Dunhuang Western Thousand Buddha Caves]. 甘肃人民美术出版社. pp. 4-5.
- Whitfield, Roderick (et al.) (2000). Cave Temples of Mogao: Art and History on the Silk Road. Getty Conservation Institute. pp. 5, 9.