Monday, November 18, 2019

But what if I CAN'T MEDITATE? (video)

Amber Larson, Dhr. Seven, Crystal Q. (eds.), Wisdom Quarterly; Mingyur Rinpoche (tergar.org)

To be able to meditate, start when you are unable to meditate. Soon you will (dailymail.co.uk)
.
"Looking for peace is like looking for a turtle with a moustache. You won't be able to find it. But when your heart is ready, it will come looking for you."
- Thai Meditation Master Ajahn Chah
.
Hold on, I'll meditate in a minute, I'm busy.
In the meantime, let us sit until we still. Sit still to get still. It doesn't make sense, but it's true. For example, a Buddhist Publication Society writer once pointed this out:

"The only way to stop smoking is to stop smoking." He observed that whenever he wanted to be a nonsmoker, it first required not smoking. He had to be a smoker-not-smoking. Then eventually by restraint he became a nonsmoker.

Of course, he wanted to smoke even though he wanted not to. What he really wanted was to not want to.

I want to meditate. I want to be the sort of meditator (who regularly meditates) who wants to meditate. But I can't meditate! (I can't seem to get myself to "meditate" in the sense of seeing a sign, magical powers, bliss, total calm, absorption, the coming together of the factors of enlightenment, ease of one-pointed attention, keen interest in the meditation object, etc.) What am I to do?



Sit. "Meditate." Try. And by keeping trying, it will come about. The way to sit is to sit. Let's take Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche's advice on HOW to do what we think is impossible.

No comments: