Saturday, November 23, 2019

PUNK: Brief History of Black Flag (film)



By Any Means: A Brief History of Black Flag
(Part 1: 1976-1980) This is the first half of a two-part essay running through the history of the Los Angeles punk hardcore rock band Black Flag along with the filmmaker's personal efforts to make a documentary film about such a chaotic band as had never existed.



(Part 2: 1980-1986) The conclusion to the story of Black Flag's 1976-1986 run and what happened when one man tried to make a documentary about them. Credits: Produced, written, edited, and narrated by Aaron Michael Thomas.

Video footage:
  • Target Video
  • Reality 86'd
  • My Career As a Jerk
  • The Slog Movie
  • The Decline of Western Civilization
  • We Jam Econo
  • X - The Unheard Music
  • Filmage
  • This is Good DVD
  • Black Flag Live DVD
  • Black Flag Live in Berlin DVD
  • Google Maps
  • NRK TV
  • "Blairing Out with Eric Blair"
  • MOCA
  • Henry Rollins Talking From the Box
  • NBC's Tomorrow
YouTube:
  • u/Ixi'kweez
  • u/Freeny83
  • u/lastwebsite
  • u/danielscissorhands
Audio clips:
  • Nardwuar the Human Serviette Radio Show - CITR
  • Harmony in My Head - KCRW.com
Photos:
  • Spray Paint the Walls by Stevie Chick
  • American Hardcore by Steven Blush
  • Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad
  • My Damage by Keith Morris
  • Get in the Van by Henry Rollins
  • Hardcore California: A History of Punk and New Wave by Peter Belsito and Bob Davis
  • Enter Naomi by Joe Carducci
  • Ham Radio Magazine
  • Pacific Coast Gallery
  • Dementlieu Punk Archive
  • Chuck Dukowski Facebook
  • The Village Voice
Music:
  • Black Flag "Rise Above"
  • David Ackles "American Gothic"
  • Television "Little Johnny Jewel"
  • Black Flag "TV Party"
  • Black Flag "Nervous Breakdown"
  • Black Flag "I Don't Care"
  • Black Flag "Revenge"
  • Black Flag "Six Pack"
AFTERWORD by Aaron Michael Thomas: Wow! THANK YOU to everyone who has discovered my documentary and given such wonderful feedback! As a YouTube video it nearly quadrupled in views over a weekend, and I don't know how everyone discovered it. But I'm so happy that you did. I just want to let everyone know that I am actively working on Part 2 [now completed] and will work to get it out as soon as possible, while also not rushing until I feel that it's as good as it can be. I put out Part 1 when I did because I wanted to hit a specific -- albeit arbitrary -- deadline, which was the 40th anniversary of the original Moose Lodge gig. I have a full-time job, and I am a father of two young kids, so I don't get to spend as much time on this as I would like, but I am working on it whenever I can. Thank you all again!

No comments: