|The Irish Buddhist (twitter.com/ceesa_ma)|
He became the first Westerner in the world to become a Buddhist monk. He was an anti-British colonial activist in Asia in the early 20th-century.
- Lawrence Carroll
- Laurence O'Rourke
- "Captain Daylight" (nom de plume)
- William Colvin.
|The Dharma Bum (documentary)|
|Lead author Prof. Alicia Turner, York University|
|Associate Professor Laurence Cox|
- Associate Professor of Humanities and Religious Studies Alicia Turner, York University Toronto, a scholar specializing in modern Burmese Buddhism, nationalism, and secularism.
- Associate Professor of Sociology Laurence Cox, Nat'l University of Ireland Maynooth, specialist in social movements, historian of Buddhism in Europe, especially Ireland.
- Emeritus Professor of the Study of Religions Brian Bocking, University College Cork, and previously professor of the Study of Religions at SOAS, University of London, who has written widely on the academic study of religions and East Asian religions.
"The result is not simply a gripping story. It is an education into the lives, ingenuity, and resilience of the usually undocumented, ordinary people living precarious lives on the margins of society across the globe at the height of Empire.
"It retraces the extensive networks of cooperation they formed in common cause for survival and a dignified life against a backdrop of extraction, exploitation and misrepresentation. This is a history of those who usually have no voice in its writing, a history that dismantles the civilizing myths of colonialism."
- BOOK: The Irish Buddhist
- Release date: April 17, 2020
- Hardcover (288 pages), $39.95 (pre-order price)
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Language: English, ISBN-10: 019007308X
- ISBN-13: 978-0190073084