Sunday, June 26, 2011

Having a baby is NOT the pinnacle of one's life

Clem Bastow (The Sydney Morning Herald National Times, June 21, 2011)
"I just lack the desire. In fact, I find the idea of pregnancy quite abject."

Choosing to remain childless gets far too much bad PR.
The strangest thing happened the other day: while I was reading the newspapers online, my computer started to make baby noises. Coos and giggles erupted from the speakers. With each tab opened, more babies' voices sprung forth, until a sonic waterfall of ga-ga-ga surrounded me.

It turned out to be an auto-playing advertisement, but that didn't stop me rushing to silence my computer in a panic. Babies have always made me nervous, because I'm one of those people who doesn't particularly want one.

As my 20s have run themselves out, the line of questioning from extended family members has shifted from "Are you seeing anyone?" to "And what about kids?" I'm 29 today and I expect the urgency with which the question is delivered to only increase once next year's birthday rolls around. More

No comments: